I will start off with what I promised – those absolutely random facts about me. Once you know them, you can’t unknow. Feel free to ask any questions in the comments below – as I’m sure some of them will warrant a question or two.
10 RANDOM THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT ME
1. I love liver. I grew up hating anything to do with organ meats, but after 5+ years of vegetarianism, I now eat it at least once a week!
2. My favorite food growing up was – gummy bears. Not a food, I know. But that leads me to fact #3.
3. I used to weight a whopping 250# – not my best time in life. I was neither healthy nor happy. I am glad I kicked my gummy bear AND junk food habit and found a healthier way to live.
4. I am a morning person. Waking up at 5 or 6 and doing whatever it is that needs to be done – totally ALL me. But anything after 2 pm and it better be in the form of lounging, reading, or anything else that does not require much brain power.
5. I would choose forest over tropical beach ANYTIME of the day or night. I am that girl that loves the rain, the green, the abundant plant and animal life over sand and dessert.
6. We are a no TV in the house family. But when we travel and stay in hotels, I love to binge – mostly any cooking shows will do, but then we also have the home improvement shows too, you know, the ones that make you think that you can totally do that too. Hah.
7. My favorite thing to do is research anything health related. Natural health junkie to the max. You need some tips and tricks, hit a girl up!
8. It goes without saying, I love to cook. But since having Oliver it has become a much less rewarding thing to do. He is super picky and that tends to discourage me quite a bit. Have any of you moms figured this out yet?
9. I have a habit of not turning my clothes inside out (or right side in?) when I throw them in the wash – so I’ve also developed a habit of learning how to put them on without having to do that. (Lazy status – PRO!
10. I grew up in Lithuania and used to use public transport by myself at the age of 6 maybe 7. Life is so different outside of the states, when I think of my son, I can’t imagine allowing him to do that at that age. Back there – totally normal. I used to go outside by myself for HOURS at the mere age of 3 or 4.
2017 LIEBSTER AWARD NOMINEE
You guys – it happened! I was recognized as a complete newbie blogger that I am and nominated for the 2017 Liebster Award. Taking the sarcasm away, and staying true to the fact that I truly am a newbie and just learning the ropes of this blogging world, I am so excited for this. This award really spreads awareness to all new and upcoming blogs and I just love being a part of that. So thank you, Taylor, for nominating me!
edited to add: As I was about to publish my post, I received notification that I was also nominated by Shawna as well! So thank you to Shawna from Little House Big Pond as well. For the sake of keeping this post *shorter* I have stuck to answering the Q&A from Taylor’s nomination.
For any of you wondering what the Liebster award is – you can find more info & the official rules on it here.
Taylor is the blogger behind Simple Living Nursing Mama and her blog is just beautiful! I especially love her Breastfeeding Positions SIMPLIFIED! post, and am a bit sad that it was not around when I started breastfeeding Oliver. I will be sure to check back in with it whenever we have another addition to our family.
Taylor came up with some Q&A questions for her nominees and here are my answers:
1. For what in your life do you feel most grateful? I am most grateful for all of the chances I have taken in life. Because of them, I have gotten to where I am. I love the thrill of risking it all and going for it. In the end, I rarely end up being disappointed in the result. If anything, it always makes for a great story. And speaking of risks, I may just have a new one coming my way, and I will share as soon as I know more – stay tuned!
2. What is your favorite meal? Breakfast – hands down. I am a morning person all the way, and just absolutely love a savory breakfast meal and a hot beverage. Starting the day off with a hearty protein and fat filled meal sets me up for great success in the day ahead and helps me curb crazy cravings!
3. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why? India, not exactly sure of where in India, but regardless I’d love to give it a try. The color and vibrancy of the hectic life there call to me. There is some link I feel to the ancient Ayurvedic practices of India and I would absolutely love to attend an Ayurvedic school there sometime in my life. To learn from ancient healers and spread that knowledge back here in the states.
4. What is your favorite blog post? Why? (Include a link) I don’t have that many up yet, but so far my favorite has to be my Fig Galette – not only because it is darn delicious, but because it is so versatile – you can make it into a savory galette by omitting the honey in the crust and swapping fillings with something different. But also because it is grain free, and most of the sweetness comes from the fruit in the filling. Total win. I love when dessert comes without a ton of guilt.
5. What makes you laugh? My husband. He’s such a goof and I love that after 7 years we can still manage a good laugh – although usually at each other’s expense. Even though he’s been in the states for almost two decades, he still has a thick accent and that tends to some funny word exchanges at times – like cricket instead of crocked. Same, same… But different.
6. What is your weirdest quirk? My tendency to do almost everything myself. It’s almost obsessive at times. So when I go and buy something pre-made it almost feels like a rebellion.
7. What made you start blogging? Where do you see yourself a year from now? Friends and family always encouraging me to start. Plus being a stay at home mom finally provided for some much needed free time to actually give it a whirl. I have always dreamt of sharing my recipes and what I learn with my research of natural health & wellness – I could just never find the time. Once my son found a bit more of a routine, so did I. I started by sharing extensive IG posts but realized that I wanted more. Hence More Than A Plate. It’s more than what’s just on your plate. In a year – I see myself with a blog full of resources for you. I plan to make this website a place where you can find what it is that you are looking for when it comes to what you want to eat, or how to naturally approach your teeth or skin care. My goal is to inspire you to take charge of your own health. We all have the power to do that – through our own health & wellness!
8. What would be your biggest piece of advice to fellow bloggers? Start! It took me FOREVER to finally launch the site. I was debating the name, debating my pictures, debating the blog posts, debating the content. Basically, everything had a “..but what if..” statement that came with it. Like Mel Robins says – 5,4,3,2,1 it and GO! That’s the only way I was able to get going. Also, give yourself grace and DON’T compare yourself to anyone out there. We all start somewhere.
9. What is your favorite song to dance to? Currently – Frank Walker – Love Me Closer. I’d like to think of my choice of music as “happy music” (This is 40 is my favorite cheesy movie).
10. What is the best vacation you have ever been on? First road trip to Eugene back in 2015. It was pure magic, that opened so many new doors in my life!
BLOG LOVE —
A blog that I am loving right now would have to be Ashlie’s blog Ryder’s Mom Blogs. I’ll be honest, she’s a long time friend. But since we don’t live near one another anymore – I spend my time on her blog now, reading her witty posts and savoring the pictures of the food she makes. Also, she’s an organizational guru, so it’s no surprise her emergency kit post rocks! One of her earliest posts convinced me to get a binder and file my manuals for all of Oliver’s stuff. Or at least attempt to, I’m not as great at this stuff as she is. Go check her site out, gawk at her food creations & at her beautiful boy!
This is the best part of the Liebster award – we get to spread the love all around! So below you will find 10 of my nominees for the award.
Ashlie: Ryder’s Mom Blogs
Amanda: Coffee and Kerfuffles
Heather: Moms Balanced Life
Wifey: Tiny Birds Nest
Saranya: Messy Life Sorted
Tana: Debt Free Forties
Jennifer: Real Food To Heal
Maggie: Maggies Food
Christie: Dumbbells and Desserts
Madison: Hello Mads
Q & A FOR MY NOMINEES
1. Why did you start your blog?
2. What do you struggle with on your blog/social media etc?
3. Where do you see your blog at in a year? Five years?
4. What do you do to stay productive?
5. What is your favorite season? Why?
6. Sum yourself up in 5 words.
7. Where would you love to take a week-long vacation?
8. What would you pack for that vacation if you could only take a carry-on?
9. What is your favorite outdoor activity?
10. Do you have any routines? Rituals?
And this wraps up the lovely post for the Liebster Award. I hope you guys enjoyed learning more about me as well as learning more about these other new bloggers! I have some new recipes coming your way soon as well as some natural health posts that are brewing up! Stay tuned for it all, I promise to only grow and cater to your needs. So if there is a recipe or a post you would like to see, drop me a note and I will make sure to see what I can do about it!
Get Back to Me!
Please leave a comment on this post that you have accepted your nomination!
Make sure you comment on The Global Aussie’s post to let him know that you are nominated!
If you have any questions make sure to head over to The Global Aussie! You can find all the information that you need there!
Thank you again, Taylor & Shawna, for your nominations!